This is a photographic portrait of Richard Welford
The first and most comprehensive history of Gosforth was published in 1879, namely “A History of The Parish of Gosforth” by Richard Welford. The author was born in Holloway, London, in 1837. His first employment was as a reporter on a local newspaper, the Bucks Advertiser. In 1854 he moved to the north-east of England to take up a position as a reporter on the Newcastle Chronicle. Richard’s first home was in St. Mary’s Place, Newcastle, then Ellison Terrace, Gateshead.
The Grove Gosforth
When Richard took up his appointment with the Newcastle Chronicle it was a weekly publication but by 1858 it was published daily and Richard was appointed sub editor at the age of 22. In 1861 Richard gave up regular journalistic work and between 1861-1864 became a literary freelancer working out of an office in Pilgrim Street. In 1861 Richard and his wife Minnie were living in George Street in the Westgate area of Newcastle. In 1871 records show the couple and their family had moved to The Grove, Gosforth, by which time Richard was secretary to a shipping company.
Gosforth High Street
By 1881 the family had moved to Thornfield Villa, a property on Gosforth High Street that has since been demolished but was adjacent to the property now occupied by the Ahad restaurant. Richard appears to have continued to live in this property until his death on 20 June 1919.
This is the second time we have come across this particular ghost property in our research of Gosforth High Street. Twenty years earlier in 1861 Mark Frater was residing in the same house. Mr Fraters’ story was rather tragic and makes interesting reading. We covered it in our blog post Murder, Mayhem and Gosforth. Richard Welford himself commented as follows in his book A History of the Parish of Gosforth.
” Mr Frater was assassinated on the 1st of October, 1861, and Gosforth lost a promising and enterprising resident.”
Richard Welford Archaeologist, Historian and Biographer
Richard Welford was an archaeologist, historian and biographer. His publications include the following
History of The Parish of Gosforth (1879)
Men of Mark Twixt Tyne and Tweed – three volumes of biographies of eminent men (1895)
Newcastle and Gateshead In the 14th, 15th &16th centuries (1884)
St Nicholas Church and Its Monuments (1880)
Richard Welford Businessman
Richard was also a businessman rising to the position of Managing Director of The Tyne Steam Shipping Company. He was also a director of the Free Trade Wharf Company and heavily involved in civic affairs in Gosforth. He served as a magistrate and sat on South Gosforth Local Board, later Gosforth Urban District Council, becoming its chairman in 1878.
Do you ever wonder about the people who lived in your house? Richard Welford and Mark Frater are an interesting example of the stories we can unearth even when a house has been demolished. If your house has been recently built it may still hold secrets in its foundations! #wholivedinmyhouse
Archive Gift Bridges of Gosforth Causey End Davison Chemist Eblett Family History Fawdon Hall Fawdon House Frederick Dendy Ghost house Gosforth Gosforth and Jesmond Authors Gosforth High Street Gosforth Terrace Gosforth Tram Sheds Greggs House History Ivy Road Jesmond Jesmond Dene Jesmond Old Cemetery Lilburn Fish Monger Little Histories Shop Lutman Mark Frater Marley's Weapon Newcastle Newcastle Town Moor Northumbrian Piper Regent Road Richard Welford Robson Porteous Salters Road Sanderson Hospital Shoulder of Mutton St Nicholas Church The Drive The Grove The Model Shop Toddle Inn Cafe T Punshon tramway Tyne Street Westfield Avenue WW11