Portrait photograph of Richard Welford

Richard Welford

The first most comprehensive history of Gosforth was published in 1879, namely “A History of The Parish of Gosforth” by Richard Welford. Join us for a snapshot glimpse into the life of this remarkable man who lived on Gosforth High Street.

Gee Sykes & Cook Garage trading from the old Gosforth Tramways building

Gosforth Tramway Building

This photograph shows the G Sykes and Cook garage c1930s. The garage was one of a number of businesses that traded from the old tramway stables on Gosforth High Street. In this post we look at this building between the years of 1884 to 1973. The tramway stables was one of the longest buildings on Gosforth High Street running from Ivy Road almost to Woodbine Road.

Street name sign Elgy Road

Street Name Origins

When researching the history or a property it is interesting to consider the significance of a property or street name. You may find for example that the name has some link to a former building that stood on the site – A street name may have some association with the builder or developer or be related to its geographical situation.